Progress update on patchwork modernization
I recently started updating the dependencies for patchwork. Since there are no automatic builds, tests, or anything else, I've just been doing it manually so far. That is, I've been batching dependabot's bump PRs together based on which ones are easy to merge and seem like they should not require code changes. I've been deciding this by studying the changelogs, commit messages, and sometimes the diffs. Non-ssb dependencies went first, and an hour ago I merged the first bunch of ssb-related dependency bumps.
For every batch of commits I selected, I ran patchwork with the patches for about a day, also trying out some code paths depending on which ones should be touched by the updates (hence the pub follow to @gossip.noisebridge.info earlier, to test that invites work). As I said, most of these PRs are not changing behaviour at all, so I'm kinda comfortable with that.
If anyone is interested and comfy with
npm ci && npm start and wants to take it through its paces, feel free.
There are two more small version bumps that I can probably do quickly, and then I'll get into #secret-stack and finally #electron which is gonna be.... funfunfun... We're running on electron 7, and the last version is 11. And those changelogs are... not the same size as in the ssb ecosystem. 😆
Anyhow, that's it. Just merrily grinding along here.